Re: Inconsistent Japanese name order in v13 contributors list

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Etsuro Fujita <etsuro(dot)fujita(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inconsistent Japanese name order in v13 contributors list
Date: 2020-09-18 22:18:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 03:27:42PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2020-Sep-09, Fujii Masao wrote:
>
> > On 2020/09/09 14:15, Etsuro Fujita wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Attached is a patch to standardize Japanese names as given-name-first
> > > in the v13 contributors list as before.
> >
> > Using given-name-first order is our consensus? I was thinking we have not
> > reached that yet and our "vague" consensus was to use the name that each
> > contributor prefers, for example the name that used in the email signature, etc.
>
> That's indeed our historical practice. See previous thread where we've
> discussed this at length,
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20150613231826.GY133018%40postgresql.org#88d245a5cdd2b32e1e3e80fc07eab6f2
>
> The Economist piece Peter G cited is also relevant.
>
> The commit Peter E cited seems more anecdotical than precedence-setting,
> since there was no actual discussion, and whatever little there was was
> confined to pgsql-committers.

This thread from 2015 is the most comprehensive discussion I remember of
Japanese name ordering, including a suggestion to use small caps:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20150613231826.GY133018%40postgresql.org#88d245a5cdd2b32e1e3e80fc07eab6f2

I have been following this guidance ever since.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com