Re: Documentation patch for backup manifests in protocol.sgml

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Documentation patch for backup manifests in protocol.sgml
Date: 2020-08-24 07:58:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 06:03:32PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 02:41:09PM +0200, Bernd Helmle wrote:
>> protocol.sgml describes the protocol messages received by a BASE_BACKUP
>> streaming command, but doesn't tell anything about the additional
>> CopyResponse data message containing the contents of the backup
>> manifest (if requested) after having received the tar files. So i
>> propose the attached to give a little more detail in this paragraph.
>
> If someone can confirm this, I will apply it? Magnus?

The reason why backup manifests are sent at the end of a base backup
is that they include the start and stop positions of the backup (see
caller of AddWALInfoToBackupManifest() in perform_base_backup()).
Once this is done, an extra CopyOutResponse message is indeed sent
within SendBackupManifest() in backup_manifest.c.

So confirmed.
--
Michael