Re: bad JIT decision

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bad JIT decision
Date: 2020-07-25 00:16:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

On 2020-07-24 18:37:02 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > However, for now, you might just want to try raising various jit
> > thresholds so that it only is enabled for more expensive plans.
>
> Yeah. I'm fairly convinced that the v12 defaults are far too low,
> because we are constantly seeing complaints of this sort.

I think the issue is more that we need to take into accoutn that the
overhead of JITing scales ~linearly with the number of JITed
expressions. And that's not done right now. I've had a patch somewhere
that had a prototype implementation of changing the costing to be
#expressions * some_cost, and I think that's a lot more accurate.

Greetings,

Andres Freund