Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2020-07-01 15:30:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 04:46:59PM +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-07-01 at 08:47 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > I remain -1 on removing the exclusive backup API.
> >
> > It's still deprecated and I'm certainly against removing that status
> > until/unless someone actually fixes it (including documentation), and if
> > we're not going to do that then we should remove it.
>
> Well, it doesn't need fixing, since it is working just fine (for certain
> values of "just fine").
>
> I agree with the need to document the problems better.

Agreed, and I don't support the repeated attempts to force things. For
me, the exclusive mode got marked as deprecated because it is "not
optimal", but that doesn't mean it is useless or needs to be removed.
Frankly, I think we should remove deprecated and just mark it as
non-optimal.

I do like the idea of pg_start_backup returning a value that needs to be
supplied to pg_stop_backup.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com