Re: pg_bsd_indent compiles bytecode

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_bsd_indent compiles bytecode
Date: 2020-06-29 16:59:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2020-06-27 18:54:04 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Having now checked, there isn't any such problem. No .bc files are
> getting built except in src/backend and in other modules that feed
> into the backend, such as src/timezone and most of contrib.

> I do see .bc files getting built for pg_bsd_indent, as Alvaro reported.
> Seems like it must be a bug in the pgxs make logic, not anything more
> generic.

Yea. The issue is in pgxs.mk. So it does affect contrib/ modules that
use PROGRAM (e.g. contrib/pg_standby/pg_standby.bc is built), but not
other parts of the tree.

It's easy enough to fix by just adding a ifndef PROGRAM around the piece
adding the depency to the .bc files:

ifeq ($(with_llvm), yes)
ifndef PROGRAM
all: $(addsuffix .bc, $(MODULES)) $(patsubst %.o,%.bc, $(OBJS))
endif # PROGRAM
endif # with_llvm

but it's not particularly pretty. But given the way pgxs.mk is
structured, I'm not sure there's really a great answer?

Greetings,

Andres Freund