Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-12 01:54:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 07:18:56PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 11:55:33AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Should e2e02191 be added to the notes? This commit means that we
>> actually dropped support for Windows 2000 (finally) at run-time.
>
> Oh, yes. This is much more important than the removal of support for
> non-ELF BSD systems, which I already listed. The new text is:
>
> Remove support for Windows 2000 (Michael Paquier)

Sounds fine to me.

>> At the same time I see no mention of 79dfa8af, which added better
>> error handling when backends the SSL context with incorrect bounds.
>
> I skipped that commit since people don't normally care about better
> error messages until they see the error message, and then they are happy
> it is there, unless this is some chronic error message problem we are
> fixing.

Okay.

> I thought this fell into the previous category about error messages, but
> coloring is different. Can we say these utilities now honor the color
> environment variables?

Exactly, I actually became aware of that possibility after plugging
in the common logging APIs to oid2name and vacuumlo as of fc8cb94b so
this was not mentioned in the log message. And anything using
src/common/logging.c can make use of the colorized output with
PG_COLOR[S] set.

> Are these the only new ones?

I can recall an extra one in this case: pgbench as of 30a3e77. And I
don't see any new callers of pg_logging_init() in the stuff that
already existed in ~12.
--
Michael