Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-11 23:18:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 11:55:33AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 11:16:00PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have committed the first draft of the PG 13 release notes. You can
> > see them here:
> >
> > https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-13.html
> >
> > It still needs markup, word wrap, and indenting. The community doc
> > build should happen in a few hours.
>
> Thanks Bruce for compiling the release notes. Here are some comments
> from me, after looking at the state of the notes as of f2ff203.
>
> Should e2e02191 be added to the notes? This commit means that we
> actually dropped support for Windows 2000 (finally) at run-time.

Oh, yes. This is much more important than the removal of support for
non-ELF BSD systems, which I already listed. The new text is:

Remove support for Windows 2000 (Michael Paquier)

> At the same time I see no mention of 79dfa8af, which added better
> error handling when backends the SSL context with incorrect bounds.

I skipped that commit since people don't normally care about better
error messages until they see the error message, and then they are happy
it is there, unless this is some chronic error message problem we are
fixing.

> What about fc8cb94, which basically means that vacuumlo and oid2name
> are able to now support coloring output for their logging?

I thought this fell into the previous category about error messages, but
coloring is different. Can we say these utilities now honor the color
environment variables? Are these the only new ones?

> <para>
> Document color support (Peter Eisentraut)
> </para>
> [...]
> <para>
> THIS WAS NOT DOCUMENTED BEFORE?
> </para>
> Not sure that there is a point to add that to the release notes.

OK, removed.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +