Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-05 20:29:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 03:44:37PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2020-May-05, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 12:50:11PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > > Do you want to include any of these?
> > >
> > > 5823677acc Provide pgbench --show-script to dump built-in scripts.
> > > ce8f946764 Report the time taken by pgbench initialization steps.
> >
> > I am kind of unclear how much of pgbench changes to put in the release
> > notes since the use seems so specialized, but maybe that is wrong.
>
> Maybe it would make sense to group all pgbench changes in a subsection
> of their own?

pgbench already has its own section in the docs:

E.1.3.8.2. pgbench

I would be glad to expand it since it is easy to pick out pgbench items
from the commit logs.

> > > a01e1b8b9d Add new part SQL/MDA to information_schema.sql_parts 33e27c3785c5ce8a3264d6af2550ec5adcebc517
> > > 2fc2a88e67 Remove obsolete information schema tables
> >
> > Uh, that didn't seem significant.
>
> Maybe have one item "modernize information_schema", and then describe
> all the changes together in a single item.

Uh, so I am unclear when we are adding items to information_schema
because we now support them, and when they are new features of
information_schema.

> > I tried a few approaches but ended up with this:
> >
> > Improve control of prepared statement parameter logging (Alexey
> > Bashtanov, &Aacute;lvaro Herrera)
> >
> > The GUC setting log_parameter_max_length controls the maximum
> > length of parameter values output during statement non-error
> > logging, and log_parameter_max_length_on_error does the same
> > for error statement logging. Previously, prepared statement
> > parameters were not logged during errors.
>
> This seems good to me. I think Tom Lane should be listed as coauthor of
> this item.

Added.

> > I used this text:
> >
> > Allow vacuum commands run by vacuumdb to operate in parallel mode
> > (Masahiko Sawada)
> >
> > This is enabled with the new --parallel option.
>
> I think the vacuumdb item should be merged with the item for 40d964ec9,
> since this is just about vacuumdb gaining control of the new VACUUM
> feature. It's not something you can use separately from that.

Well, it is under Server Commands and has a new flag, so I thought it
should be here.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +