Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-05 19:44:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-May-05, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 12:50:11PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > Do you want to include any of these?
> >
> > 5823677acc Provide pgbench --show-script to dump built-in scripts.
> > ce8f946764 Report the time taken by pgbench initialization steps.
>
> I am kind of unclear how much of pgbench changes to put in the release
> notes since the use seems so specialized, but maybe that is wrong.

Maybe it would make sense to group all pgbench changes in a subsection
of their own?

> > a01e1b8b9d Add new part SQL/MDA to information_schema.sql_parts 33e27c3785c5ce8a3264d6af2550ec5adcebc517
> > 2fc2a88e67 Remove obsolete information schema tables
>
> Uh, that didn't seem significant.

Maybe have one item "modernize information_schema", and then describe
all the changes together in a single item.

> I tried a few approaches but ended up with this:
>
> Improve control of prepared statement parameter logging (Alexey
> Bashtanov, &Aacute;lvaro Herrera)
>
> The GUC setting log_parameter_max_length controls the maximum
> length of parameter values output during statement non-error
> logging, and log_parameter_max_length_on_error does the same
> for error statement logging. Previously, prepared statement
> parameters were not logged during errors.

This seems good to me. I think Tom Lane should be listed as coauthor of
this item.

> I used this text:
>
> Allow vacuum commands run by vacuumdb to operate in parallel mode
> (Masahiko Sawada)
>
> This is enabled with the new --parallel option.

I think the vacuumdb item should be merged with the item for 40d964ec9,
since this is just about vacuumdb gaining control of the new VACUUM
feature. It's not something you can use separately from that.