Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-05 17:50:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Do you want to include any of these?

5823677acc Provide pgbench --show-script to dump built-in scripts.
ce8f946764 Report the time taken by pgbench initialization steps.
751c63cea0 Remove pg_regress' --load-language option.
33753ac9d7 Add object names to partition integrity violations.
246f136e76 Improve handling of parameter differences in physical replication
a01e1b8b9d Add new part SQL/MDA to information_schema.sql_parts 33e27c3785c5ce8a3264d6af2550ec5adcebc517
2fc2a88e67 Remove obsolete information schema tables
b9b408c487 Record parents of triggers (tgparentid)
2b2bacdca0 Reset statement_timeout between queries of a multi-query string.
09f08930f0 initdb: Change authentication defaults Change the defaults for the pg_hba.conf generated by initdb to "peer" or "md5"

>Improve control of prepared statement parameter logging
>The GUC setting log_parameter_max_length controls the maximum length of parameter values output during statement logging, and log_parameter_max_length_on_error allows parameters to be output on
I think the original commit (ba79cb5d) gets lost in the description of the
details and the following commit. I would say:
|Emit parameter values during query bind/execute errors and allow control of the max length logged by statement logging (Alexey Bashtanov, Álvaro Herrera)
|The GUC setting log_parameter_max_length controls the maximum length of parameter values output during statement logging, and log_parameter_max_length_on_error allows parameters to be output on
|error.
Or maybe split that into two items.

> Allow track_activity_query_size to be set to 1MB (Vyacheslav Makarov)
Say "*up* to 1MB".

> super users
say "superuser" ?

>Allow allow_system_table_mods to be changed after server start (Peter Eisentraut)
>Disallow non-super users from modifying system tables when allow_system_table_mods is set (Peter Eisentraut)
I think these two entries can be merged.

>Add parallel control of the vacuumdb command using --parallel (Masahiko Sawada)
>Allow reindexdb to operate in parallel (Julien Rouhaud)
>Parallel mode is enabled with the new --jobs option.

It's probably worth saying that vacuumdb --parallel just passes (parallel N)
option to the vacuum command, which means that it processes indexes in parallel.
Whereas reindexdb --jobs is a client-side feature, creating a separate sessions
for each.

--
Justin