Re: Binary search in ScalarArrayOpExpr for OR'd constant arrays

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: James Coleman <jtc331(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Binary search in ScalarArrayOpExpr for OR'd constant arrays
Date: 2020-04-23 14:55:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 09:02:26AM -0400, James Coleman wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 8:47 AM Tomas Vondra
><tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 09:27:34PM -0400, James Coleman wrote:
>> >Over in "execExprInterp() questions / How to improve scalar array op
>> >expr eval?" [1] I'd mused about how we might be able to optimized
>> >scalar array ops with OR'd semantics.
>> >
>> >This patch implements a binary search for such expressions when the
>> >array argument is a constant so that we can avoid needing to teach
>> >expression execution to cache stable values or know when a param has
>> >changed.
>> >
>> >The speed-up for the target case can pretty impressive: in my
>> >admittedly contrived and relatively unscientific test with a query in
>> >the form:
>> >
>> >select count(*) from generate_series(1,100000) n(i) where i in (<1000
>> >random integers in the series>)
>> >
>> >shows ~30ms for the patch versus ~640ms on master.
>> >

>> Nice improvement, although 1000 items is probably a bit unusual. The
>> threshold used in the patch (9 elements) seems a bit too low - what
>> results have you seen with smaller arrays?
>
>At least in our systems we regularly work with 1000 batches of items,
>which means you get IN clauses of identifiers of that size. Admittedly
>the most common case sees those IN clauses as simple index scans
>(e.g., WHERE <primary key> IN (...)), but it's also common to have a
>broader query that merely filters additionally on something like "...
>AND <some foreign key> IN (...)" where it makes sense for the rest of
>the quals to take precedence in generating a reasonable plan. In that
>case, the IN becomes a regular filter, hence the idea behind the
>patch.
>
>Side note: I'd love for us to be able to treat "IN (VALUES)" the same
>way...but as noted in the other thread that's an extremely large
>amount of work, I think. But similarly you could use a hash here
>instead of a binary search...but this seems quite good.
>
>As to the choice of 9 elements: I just picked that as a starting
>point; Andres had previously commented off hand that at 8 elements
>serial scanning was faster, so I figured this was a reasonable
>starting point for discussion.
>
>Perhaps it would make sense to determine that minimum not as a pure
>constant but scaled based on how many rows the planner expects us to
>see? Of course that'd be a more invasive patch...so may or may not be
>as feasible as a reasonable default.

Not sure. That seems a bit overcomplicated and I don't think it depends
on the number of rows the planner expects to see very much. I think we
usually assume the linear search is cheaper for small arrays and then at
some point the binary search starts winning The question is where this
"break even" point is.

I think we usually use something like 64 or so in other places, but
maybe I'm wrong. The current limit 9 seems a bit too low, but I may be
wrong. Let's not obsess about this too much, let's do some experiments
and pick a value based on that.

>> Another idea - would a bloom filter be useful here, as a second
>> optimization? That is, for large arrays build s small bloom filter,
>> allowing us to skip even the binary search.
>
>That's an interesting idea. I actually haven't personally worked with
>bloom filters, so didn't think about that.
>
>Are you thinking that you'd also build the filter *and* presort the
>array? Or try to get away with using only the bloom filter and not
>expanding and sorting the array at all?

Yeah, something like that. My intuition is the bloom filter is useful
only above some number of items, and the number is higher than for the
binary search. So we'd end up with two thresholds, first one enabling
binary search, the second one enabling bloom filter.

Of course, the "unknown" variable here is how often we actually find the
value in the array. If 100% of the queries has a match, then the bloom
filter is a waste of time. If there are no matches, it can make a
significant difference.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com