Re: Logical replication subscription owner

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: chris+postgresql(at)qwirx(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2020-04-22 22:59:11
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Apr-22, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Alvaro Herrera (alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:

> > I wonder if a better answer is to allow the connection when the
> > REPLICATION priv is granted, ignoring the LOGIN prov.
>
> Erm, no, I wouldn't have thought that'd make sense- maybe someone
> specifically wants to stop allowing that role to login and they remove
> LOGIN? That REPLICATION would override that would surely be surprising
> and counter-intuitive..

Well, I guess if somebody wants to stop replication, they can remove
the REPLICATION priv.

I had it in my mind that LOGIN was for regular (SQL-based) login, and
REPLICATION was for replication login, and that they were orthogonal.

You're saying that there's no way a role can have REPLICATION privs but
no LOGIN. Is that sensible?