Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes
Date: 2020-04-05 15:53:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 06:29:15PM +0300, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
>Hi!
>
>On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 5:29 AM Tomas Vondra
><tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> >
>> >This has been close to two months now, so I have the patch as RwF.
>> >Feel free to update if you think that's incorrect.
>>
>> I see the opclass parameters patch got committed a couple days ago, so
>> I've rebased the patch series on top of it. The pach was marked RwF
>> since 2019-11, so I'll add it to the next CF.
>
>I think this patchset was marked RwF mainly because slow progress on
>opclass parameters. Now we got opclass parameters committed, and I
>think this patchset is in a pretty good shape. Moreover, opclass
>parameters patch comes with very small examples. This patchset would
>be great showcase for opclass parameters.
>
>I'd like to give this patchset a chance for v13. I'm going to make
>another pass trough this patchset. If I wouldn't find serious issues,
>I'm going to commit it. Any objections?

I'm an author of the patchset and I'd love to see it committed, but I
think that might be a bit too rushed and unfair (considering it was not
included in the current CF at all).

I think the code is correct and I'm not aware of any bugs, but I'm not
sure there was sufficient discussion about things like costing, choosing
parameter values (e.g. number of values in the multi-minmax or bloom
filter parameters).

That being said, I think the first couple of patches (that modify how
BRIN deals with multi-key scans and IS NULL clauses) are simple enough
and non-controversial, so maybe we could get 0001-0003 committed, and
leave the bloom/multi-minmax opclasses for v14.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com