Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: BRIN multi-range indexes
Date: 2020-04-05 15:51:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> I'd like to give this patchset a chance for v13. I'm going to make
> another pass trough this patchset. If I wouldn't find serious issues,
> I'm going to commit it. Any objections?

I think it is way too late to be reviving major features that nobody
has been looking at for months, that indeed were never even listed
in the final CF. At this point in the cycle I think we should just be
trying to get small stuff over the line, not shove in major patches
and figure they can be stabilized later.

In this particular case, the last serious work on the patchset seems
to have been Tomas' revision of 2019-09-14, and he specifically stated
then that the APIs still needed work. That doesn't sound like
"it's about ready to commit" to me.