Re: Should we add xid_current() or a int8->xid cast?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Should we add xid_current() or a int8->xid cast?
Date: 2020-04-02 17:33:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-Apr-02, Thomas Munro wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 11:14 AM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > * updated OIDs to avoid collisions
> > * added btequalimage to btree/xid8_ops
>
> Here's the version I'm planning to commit tomorrow, if no one objects. Changes:
>
> * txid.c renamed to xid8funcs.c
> * remaining traces of "txid" replaced various internal identifiers
> * s/backwards compatible/backward compatible/ in funcs.sgml (en_GB -> en_US)

Hmm, for some reason I had it in my head that we would make these use an
"epoch/val" output format rather than raw uint64 values. Are we really
going to do it this way? Myself I can convert values easily enough, but
I'm not sure this is user-friendly. (If somebody were to tell me that
LSNs are going to be straight uint64 values, I would not be happy.)

Or maybe it's the other way around -- this is fine for everyone except
me -- and we should never expose the epoch as a separate quantity.