Re: Adding missing object access hook invocations

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding missing object access hook invocations
Date: 2020-03-17 18:49:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2020-03-16 16:03:51 -0700, Mark Dilger wrote:
> While working on object access hooks, I noticed several locations
> where I would expect the hook to be invoked, but no actual invocation.
> I think this just barely qualifies as a bug. It's debatable because
> whether it is a bug depends on the user's expectations and whether not
> invoking the hook in these cases is defensible. Does anybody have any
> recollection of an intentional choice not to invoke in these
> locations?

I am strongly against treating this as a bug, which'd likely imply
backpatching. New hook invocations are a noticable behavioural change,
and very plausibly will break currently working extensions. That's fine
for a major version upgrade, but not for a minor one, unless there are
very good reasons.

Andres