Re: Getting our tables to render better in PDF output

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting our tables to render better in PDF output
Date: 2020-02-12 22:18:18
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 2020-Feb-12, Tom Lane wrote:

> With a separate argument-types cell it'd likely be
> better to just leave the cell empty, but do we want to write
> just "→ rettype" in a signature cell?

Yeah, it'd look very odd, and certainly the no-parens case makes it
worse. I like this end result:

> so being consistent with that might suggest including the function name
> in function signatures:
>
> Function Signature
>
> age age(timestamp) → interval
>
> now now() → timestamp with time zone
>
> current_timestamp current_timestamp → timestamp with time zone
>
> I'm a bit suspicious of how much horizontal space that would eat, but
> if we're able to get rid of the separate cell for result type, it
> might work out OK.

Regarding no-parens function signatures, perhaps we can add a footnote
indicating that such functions have this strange shape because of the
SQL committee, such as "&dagger; This function signature uses no
parentheses because the SQL standard defines it in that way."