pg_buffercache query example results misleading, grouping by just relname, needs schema_name

From: PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: adunham(at)arbormetrix(dot)com
Subject: pg_buffercache query example results misleading, grouping by just relname, needs schema_name
Date: 2020-02-12 23:55:51
Lists: pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/pgbuffercache.html

The pg_buffercache query example results are misleading. The "group by" uses
just by relname. It needs to include pg_namespace.nspname, without it, if
the same object exists in multiple schemas, the buffer count is summed for
those multiple distinct objects.
In: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/pgbuffercache.html
Alternative SQL (the count is now correct for tables in multiple schemas):
SELECT ts.nspname AS schema_name,c.relname, count(*) AS buffers
FROM pg_buffercache b INNER JOIN pg_class c
ON b.relfilenode = pg_relation_filenode(c.oid) AND
b.reldatabase IN (0, (SELECT oid FROM pg_database
WHERE datname = current_database()))
JOIN pg_namespace ts ON ts.oid = c.relnamespace
GROUP BY ts.nspname,c.relname
ORDER BY buffers DESC
LIMIT 10;

Example Results:
Current Query returns 1 row with buffer count summed for 3 tables:
relname buffers
tab1 72401

Modified Query:
schema_name relname buffers