Re: 12.1 not useable: clientlib fails after a dozen queries (GSSAPI ?)

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter <pmc(at)citylink(dot)dinoex(dot)sub(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 12.1 not useable: clientlib fails after a dozen queries (GSSAPI ?)
Date: 2020-01-10 20:38:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

> I wrote:
> > I haven't run it further to ground than that, but there's definitely
> > something fishy here. Based on just these results one would be hard
> > pressed to say if it's our bug or FreeBSD's, but your report that you
> > don't see the failure with PG 11 makes it sound like our problem.
>
> Ah, I have it: whoever wrote pg_GSS_read() failed to pay attention
> to the fact that setting errno is a critical part of its API.
> Sometimes it returns -1 while leaving errno in a state that causes
> pqReadData to draw the wrong conclusions. In particular that can
> happen when it reads an incomplete packet, and that's very timing
> dependent, which is why this is so ticklish to reproduce.

Ah-hah. Not sure if that was Robbie or myself (probably me, really,
since I rewrote a great deal of that code). I agree that the regression
tests don't test with very much data, but I tested pushing quite a bit
of data through and didn't see any issues with my testing. Apparently I
was getting pretty lucky. :/

> I'll have a patch in a little while.

That's fantastic, thanks!

Stephen