Re: psql FETCH_COUNT feature does not work with combined queries

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql FETCH_COUNT feature does not work with combined queries
Date: 2020-01-06 22:20:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 04:13:23PM +0000, Fabien COELHO wrote:

>>FETCH_COUNT does not work with combined queries, and probably has
>>never worked since 2006.
>
>For the record, this bug has already been reported & discussed by
>Daniel Vérité a few months back, see:
>
>https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/a0a854b6-563c-4a11-bf1c-d6c6f924004d%40manitou-mail.org
>
>Given the points of view expressed on this thread, especially Tom's
>view against improving the lexer used by psql to known where query
>ends, it looks that my documentation patch is the way to go in the
>short term, and that if the "always show query results" patch is
>committed, it might simplify a bit solving this issue as the PQexec
>call is turned into PQsendQuery.

Assuming there's no one willing to fix the behavior (and that seems
unlikely given we're in the middle of a 2020-01 commitfest) it makes
sense to at least document the behavior.

That being said, I think the proposed patch may be a tad too brief. I
don't think we need to describe the exact behavior, of course, but maybe
it'd be good to mention that the behavior depends on the type of the
last command etc. Also, I don't think "combined query" is a term used
anywhere in the code/docs - I think the proper term is "multi-query
string".

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com