Re: Small suggestion on build script

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Small suggestion on build script
Date: 2004-04-09 10:38:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane said:
> "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com> writes:
>> The response from the Mingw team:
>
>>> Symbolic links to files and directories do not work on Win32
>>> in general. Support for symlink operation is limited to the source
>>> directory or file existing and being able to copy the source to the
>>> destination.
>
> The source does exist, and they should be able to copy it to the
> destination, and they do manage to do so much of the time. I think you
> failed to convey the critical point, which is that they randomly fail
> to do what they claim to be able to do.

I had a couple of thoughts about ways of dealing with this problem in an
acceptable way:
1. make the symlinking more robust by doing it in a loop until it
succeeeds - surely we can test for that rather than just assuming it has
succeeded.
2. or instead of symlinking or making a lasting copy, make the dependency
back to the real file location and the corresponding compile action would
be copy/compile/delete copy.

cheers

andrew