Re: PostgreSQL configuration

From: Honza Pazdziora <adelton(at)informatics(dot)muni(dot)cz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Honza Pazdziora <adelton(at)informatics(dot)muni(dot)cz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Date: 2004-04-09 07:19:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:32:19AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> > A counterexample of Apache shows that you can easily use -f or another
> > command line option to point the server to alternate master config
> > file (which I believe is the same with MySQL).
>
> According to
> http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Using_MySQL_Programs.html#Option_files
> /etc/my.cnf will be read if it exists, no matter what you say on the
> command line. So AFAICS the only way to make a private installation is
> to make sure that you have overridden each and every setting in

:-) I never used that "feature" so was never bitten by it. Anyway,
Apache HTTP server seems to do it the right way, doesn't it?

Honza Pazdziora | adelton(at)fi(dot)muni(dot)cz | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
.project: Perl, mod_perl, DBI, Oracle, large Web systems, XML/XSL, ...
Only self-confident people can be simple.