Re: segmentation fault when cassert enabled

From: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: segmentation fault when cassert enabled
Date: 2019-12-16 15:40:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 12:10:07 +0530
vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 5:30 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 8:25 PM Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais
> > <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:

> > > I've been able to find the origin of the crash, but it was a long journey.
> > >
> > > <debugger hard life>
> > >
> > > I was unable to debug using gdb record because of this famous error:
> > >
> > > Process record does not support instruction 0xc5 at address
> > > 0x1482758a4b30.
> > >
> > > Program stopped.
> > > __memset_avx2_unaligned_erms ()
> > > at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memset-vec-unaligned-erms.S:168
> > > 168 ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memset-vec-unaligned-erms.S: No such
> > > file or directory.
> > >
> > > Trying with rr, I had constant "stack depth limit exceeded", even with
> > > unlimited one. Does it worth opening a discussion or a wiki page about
> > > these tools? Peter, it looks like you have some experience with rr, any
> > > feedback?
> > >
> > > Finally, Julien Rouhaud spend some time with me after work hours,
> > > a,swering my questions about some parts of the code and pointed me to the
> > > excellent backtrace_functions GUC addition few days ago. This finally did
> > > the trick to find out what was happening. Many thanks Julien!
> > >
> > > </debugger hard life>
> > >
> > > Back to the bug itself. Consider a working logical replication with
> > > constant update/insert activity, eg. pgbench running against provider.
> > >
> > > Now, on the subscriber side, a session issue an "ALTER TABLE ADD
> > > COLUMN" on a subscribed table, eg. pgbench_branches. A cache invalidation
> > > message is then pending for this table.
> > >
> > > In the meantime, the logical replication worker receive an UPDATE to
> > > apply. It opens the local relation using "logicalrep_rel_open". It finds
> > > the related entry in LogicalRepRelMap is valid, so it does not update its
> > > attrmap and directly opens and locks the local relation:
> > >

> > - /* Try to find and lock the relation by name. */
> > + /* Try to find the relation by name */
> > relid = RangeVarGetRelid(makeRangeVar(remoterel->nspname,\
> > remoterel->relname, -1),
> > - lockmode, true);
> > + NoLock, true);
> >
> > I think we can't do this because it could lead to locking the wrong
> > reloid. See RangeVarGetRelidExtended. It ensures that after locking
> > the relation (which includes accepting invalidation messages), that
> > the reloid is correct. I think changing the code in the way you are
> > suggesting can lead to locking incorrect reloid.

Sorry for the delay, I couldn't answer earlier.

To be honest, I was wondering about that. Since we keep in cache the relid and
use it as cache invalidation, I thought it might be fragile. But then - as far
as I could find - the only way to change the relid is to drop and create a new
table. I wasn't sure it could really cause a race condition there because of
the impact of such commands on logical replication.

But now, I realize I should have go all the way through and close this
potential bug as well. Thank you.

> I have made changes to fix the comment provided. The patch for the
> same is attached. Could not add a test case for this scenario is based
> on timing issue.

Thank you for this fix Vignesh!