Re: I'm surprised to see the word master here

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erikjan Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)maxipad(dot)org>, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Renee <renee(dot)phillips(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I'm surprised to see the word master here
Date: 2019-10-04 21:57:46
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 03:04:55PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> I don't agree with this claim. While we could argue about if a hot
> standby is considered "active" or not, the vast majority of the world
> considers "active/active" to actually be where you can use the two
> systems interchangably, including being able to write to both. As such,
> I disagree with this claim- while perhaps you could make an argument
> that it's "technically" correct, it's not how the terms are used in
> practice and saying active/active instead would be well understood by
> the community and industry at large.

With master/standby-replica-slave, it is clear what multi-master is, and
what master/replica is. If you start using active-active, is it
active/replica? The full choices are:

master
primary
active

and

standby
replica
slave

Whatever terms we use, it would be nice to use the same term for the
multi-master as for master/replica. Using active-active and
primary/replica just seems odd. Multi-primary? Seems odd since primary
suggests one, though multiple master seems odd too, i.e., more than one
master. Multi-active seems the most logical, or active-active, but then
active-replica seems odd because it suggests the repica is not active,
i.e. does nothing. Is no clear logical terminology possible?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +