Re: I'm surprised to see the word master here

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Chris Travers <chris(dot)travers(at)gmail(dot)com>, Erikjan Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Selena Deckelmann <selena(at)maxipad(dot)org>, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Renee <renee(dot)phillips(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: I'm surprised to see the word master here
Date: 2019-10-02 19:04:55
Lists: pgsql-docs

Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 3:10 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
> wrote:
> > On 10/2/19 7:39 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
> > > On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:57 PM Erikjan Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl
> > > <mailto:er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>> wrote:

> > --
> > it as

> > need to
> > > >

> > > IMHO, hat would seem a bad idea. Let's not take the politicising too
> > > far.
> > >
> > > I would say leave it at abolishing 'slave' (as we have already done).
> > >

> > > But that raises an important point, which is that if we remove master
> > > entirely from the replication lexicon, then I don't see how multi-master
> > > makes sense. If consistency is a goal, postmaster still works but there
> > > is no alternative to multi-master in common usage.
> >
> > At various events and tradeshows that include representation from other
> > database systems, the terminology that I hear is "active-active" -- this
> > is not one-off, but from a lot of people. This is also a common term for
> > the major proprietary systems as well. I hear it much more commonly than
> > "multi-master" even.
>
> That has the tiny problem of not being correct though.
>
> A classic primary/standby cluster is *also* active/active. It used to be
> very common to have active/passive clusters -- these were the typical
> shared-disk-mounted-on-one-node-at-a-time style clusters. This indicates
> that the standby node isn't available *at all* until after a
> fail/switchover. So pretty much anything based on our streaming replication
> today is active/active..

I don't agree with this claim. While we could argue about if a hot
standby is considered "active" or not, the vast majority of the world
considers "active/active" to actually be where you can use the two
systems interchangably, including being able to write to both. As such,
I disagree with this claim- while perhaps you could make an argument
that it's "technically" correct, it's not how the terms are used in
practice and saying active/active instead would be well understood by
the community and industry at large.

Thanks,

Stephen