Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Zedstore - compressed in-core columnar storage
Date: 2019-04-09 15:51:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-Apr-09, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

> On 09.04.2019 3:27, Ashwin Agrawal wrote:
> > Heikki and I have been hacking recently for few weeks to implement
> > in-core columnar storage for PostgreSQL. Here's the design and initial
> > implementation of Zedstore, compressed in-core columnar storage (table
> > access method). Attaching the patch and link to github branch [1] to
> > follow along.
>
> Thank you for publishing this patch. IMHO Postgres is really missing normal
> support of columnar store

Yep.

> and table access method API is the best way of integrating it.

This is not surprising, considering that columnar store is precisely the
reason for starting the work on table AMs.

We should certainly look into integrating some sort of columnar storage
in mainline. Not sure which of zedstore or VOPS is the best candidate,
or maybe we'll have some other proposal. My feeling is that having more
than one is not useful; if there are optimizations to one that can be
borrowed from the other, let's do that instead of duplicating effort.