Re: Timeout parameters

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "Jamison, Kirk" <k(dot)jamison(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Nagaura, Ryohei" <nagaura(dot)ryohei(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, 'Fabien COELHO' <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, 'Kyotaro HORIGUCHI' <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>, "AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Timeout parameters
Date: 2019-04-06 06:54:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 05, 2019 at 07:34:48AM +0000, Tsunakawa, Takayuki wrote:
> From: Michael Paquier [mailto:michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz]
>> The first letter should be upper-case.
>
> Thank you for taking care of this patch, and sorry to cause you
> trouble to fix that...

I have just committed the GUC and libpq portion for TCP_USER_TIMEOUT
after a last lookup, and I have cleaned up a couple of places. It is
a bit disappointing to see the option supported on Linux, but not on
Windows, Solaris and BSD as far as I can see. Still that's useful in
itself for more control of the TCP connection. Hopefully I forgot
nobody in the review credits.

For the socket_timeout stuff, its way of solving the problem it thinks
is solves does not seem right to me, and this thread has not reached a
consensus anyway, so I have discarded the issue.

I am marking the CF entry as committed. In the future, it would be
better to not propose multiple concepts on the same thread, and if the
socket_timeout business is resubmitted, I would suggest a completely
new CF entry, and a new thread.
--
Michael