Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Donald Dong <xdong(at)csumb(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs
Date: 2019-04-01 18:55:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2019-04-01 20:48:41 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2019-04-01 20:31, Andres Freund wrote:
> > I'm unhappy about this being committed. I don't think there was
> > terribly much buyin for this amount of duplicated infrastructure.
>
> What duplicated infrastructure?

A written upthread, I think this should have had a uniform interface
with elog.h, and probably even share some code between the two. This is
going in the wrong direction, making it harder, not easier, to share
code between frontend and backend. While moving around as much code as
we'd have had to do if we'd gone to error reporting compatible with
elog.h.

Greetings,

Andres Freund