Re: monitoring CREATE INDEX [CONCURRENTLY]

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Rahila Syed <rahila(dot)syed(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: monitoring CREATE INDEX [CONCURRENTLY]
Date: 2019-04-01 16:10:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Rahila, thanks for reviewing.

On 2019-Mar-25, Rahila Syed wrote:

> Please see few comments below:
>
> 1. Makecheck fails currently as view definition of expected rules.out does
> not reflect latest changes in progress metrics numbering.

Ouch ... fixed.

> 2. + <entry>
> I think there is a typo here 's/partitioned/partitioned table/'

Ah, so there is. Fixed.

> 3.
> I think parallel scan equivalent bpscan->phs_nblocks along with
> hscan->rs_nblocks should be used similar to startblock computation above.

Hmm, yeah. I think the way things are setup currently it doesn't matter
much, but it seems fragile to rely on that.

I also moved the reporting of total blocks to scan in the initial table
scan so that it occurs wholly in heapam_index_build_range_scan; I had
originally put that code in _bt_spools_heapscan, but that was a
modularity violation I think. (It didn't make a practical difference,
but it made no sense to have the two cases report the number in wildly
different locations.) Also added a final nblocks metric update after
the scan is done.

I think this patch is done.

Attachment Content-Type Size
v9-0001-Report-progress-of-CREATE-INDEX-operations.patch text/x-diff 64.6 KB
v9-0002-report-partial-progress-of-other-index-AMs.patch text/x-diff 5.2 KB