Re: pgsql: Add support for multivariate MCV lists

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add support for multivariate MCV lists
Date: 2019-03-28 09:30:46
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 08:15:35PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 2019-03-27 21:13:46 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> >
>> > +1
>> >

>> Thanks! I guess it's a Gordie Howe of our patches.
>
>Btw, do you have plans to work on using more of this information during
>join planning? Or at least an estimate of how much work that'd be?

Yes, I'd like to use more of this info in join estimation. I don't have
an exact plan how to do that - so if anyone has ideas regarding this,
I'd love to hear them.

An obvious option is to add statistics covering multiple tables (the
syntax is already designed with that in mind). But I have a feeling there
are things we can do without that, e.g. using multivariate MCV lists in
eqjoinsel roughly the same way we use per-column MCV lists, etc.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com