Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions
Date: 2019-03-19 06:29:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 11:45:05AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> So you want to default to no group access regardless of the directory
> permissions, with an option to enable group access that must be
> explicitly specified? That seems like a reasonable option to me; note
> that initdb does seem to chdir() an existing directory.

Hm. We have been assuming that the contents of a base backup inherit
the permission of the source when using pg_basebackup because this
allows users to keep a nodes in a consistent state without deciding
which option to use. Do you mean that you would like to enforce the
permissions of only the root directory if it exists? Or the root
directory with all its contents? The former may be fine. The latter
is definitely not.
--
Michael