Re: Logical replication and restore from pg_basebackup

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Dmitry Vasiliev <dmitry(dot)vasiliev(at)coins(dot)ph>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logical replication and restore from pg_basebackup
Date: 2019-02-11 23:46:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 05:39:49PM +0300, Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:
> Do I understand correctly that logical replication and recovery from
> pg_basebackup are incompatible things?

When using physical streaming replication, it is mandatory to have
nodes with a system ID matching, meaning that all nodes have been
created from the same source instance. With logical replication,
nodes are separate entities from this point of view, hence you may be
able to make a logical copy from a base backup, however this is not
really necessary as changes are exchanged in a logical shape.
--
Michael