Re: Allow auto_explain to log to NOTICE

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Dunstan <tom(at)tomd(dot)cc>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, jdealmeidapereira(at)pivotal(dot)io
Subject: Re: Allow auto_explain to log to NOTICE
Date: 2019-01-04 12:49:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 01:06:24PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Do we really want to add user-facing options just to be able to run
> tests? Should we write the tests differently instead?

The take is that the output of the plans generated includes data which
is run-dependent because the duration of the plan is generated
unconditionally. One way to write generic tests considering this
would be to use a TAP test, but I feel that's overdoing it just for
this case.

Being able to control if the plan duration shows up still looks like
an interesting option to me independently of adding tests.
--
Michael