Re: Compile warnings on OSX 10.10 clang 6.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: John Gorman <johngorman2(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compile warnings on OSX 10.10 clang 6.0
Date: 2015-04-03 21:21:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> These warnings also happen with older versions of clang. Now idea how
>> to fix yet. I'm thinking that clang should be fixed, because these
>> warnings are stupid.

> Yeah, they're utterly stupid; whoever put them in obviously doesn't
> have a clue about typical Makefile construction. I wonder if next
> we'll see complaints about unnecessary -D or -I switches.

> Having said that, I did look awhile ago about how we might get rid of
> them, and it seems not easy; for starters we would need to drop the
> assumption that CFLAGS can always be included when linking. Also,
> AFAICT -pthread sometimes *is* required when linking; so it's
> not even very obvious when to suppress the switch, even if we could
> do so without wholesale rearrangement of our FLAGS handling.

On the other hand, there's often more than one way to skin a cat.
It occurred to me that maybe we could just turn off this class of warning,
and after some experimentation I found out that
"-Wno-unused-command-line-argument" does that, at least in the version
of clang that Apple's currently shipping.

Who's for enabling that if the compiler takes it?