Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bernd Helmle <bernd(dot)helmle(at)credativ(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Progress reporting for pg_verify_checksums
Date: 2018-12-26 02:45:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-Dec-26, Michael Paquier wrote:

> + /*
> + * If we are reporting to a terminal, send a carriage return so that we
> + * stay on the same line. If not, send a newline.
> + */
> + if (isatty(fileno(stderr)))
> + fprintf(stderr, "\r");
> + else
> + fprintf(stderr, "\n");
> This bit is not really elegant, why not just '\r'?

Umm, this is established coding pattern in pg_basebackup.c.
Stylistically I'd change all those cases to "fprintf(stderr,
isatty(fileno(stderr)) ? "\r" : "\n")" but leave the string alone, since
AFAIR it took some time to figure out what to do. (I'd also make the
comment one line instead of four, say "Stay on the same line if
reporting to a terminal". That makes the whole stanza two lines rather
than eight, which is the appropriate amount of space for it).