don't create storage when unnecessary

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: don't create storage when unnecessary
Date: 2018-12-06 21:55:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Some time ago, after partitioned indexes had been pushed, I realized
that even though I didn't want them to have relfilenodes, they did. And
looking closer I noticed that *a lot* of relation kinds that didn't need
relfilenodes, had them anyway.

This patch fixes that; if no relfilenode is needed, it's not created.

I didn't verify pg_upgrade behavior across this commit. Maybe something
needs tweaking there.

PS: I think it'd be worth following up with this ...
https://postgr.es/m/CAFjFpRcfzs+yst6YBCseD_orEcDNuAr9GUTraZ5GC=AvCYh55Q@mail.gmail.com

--
Álvaro Herrera

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-don-t-create-storage-when-not-necessary.patch text/x-diff 2.4 KB