Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2018-11-27 03:20:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 10:13:34PM -0500, David Steele wrote:
> Non-exclusive backups have been available since 9.6 and several third-party
> solutions support this mode, in addition to pg_basebackup.

I think that two releases is not actually that much time to just nuke
the exclusive backup interface. I would be fine if the docs show the
deprecation more aggressively using a warning section, and we could add
an explicit WARNING message about the matter directly when calling
pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup.

My 2c.
--
Michael