Re: BUG #15212: Default values in partition tables don't work as expected and allow NOT NULL violation

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jürgen Strobel <juergen+postgresql(at)strobel(dot)info>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #15212: Default values in partition tables don't work as expected and allow NOT NULL violation
Date: 2018-11-09 21:11:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 2018-Nov-09, Jürgen Strobel wrote:

> I am slightly confused now, I thought this landmine was already fixed in
> master and what remains is only whether to backport it or not? Which I
> guess depends on whether this is classified as a bug or not.

Hmm, I changed (and back-patched) what happens to the NOT NULL clauses,
but as I understand the behavior of the DEFAULT clauses has not changed.

> Since the fix has the potential to break current applications and the
> documentation is vague about wanted behavior I think it would be
> sensible to add a warning only, even if we agree to call it a bug.

Hmm, the part I was first proposing to backpatch as an ERROR was a
mismatch in the COLLATE clause; then I talked about using a WARNING. I
ended up backpatching neither -- only immortalized the current behavior
in a test case. I think it should be an ERROR, but in master only.

The DEFAULT clauses are a different problem (landmine) :-)