Re: pgsql: Set pg_class.relhassubclass for partitioned indexes

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Set pg_class.relhassubclass for partitioned indexes
Date: 2018-10-22 03:12:12
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 10:59:27PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
>> Set pg_class.relhassubclass for partitioned indexes
>
> Seems like this commit should have touched the catalogs.sgml description
> for that column, as well as the pg_class.h comment for it. Neither of
> those are worded in a way that suggests it could be set for non-table
> relations.

The pg_class.h comment looked fine for me first. How would you reword
it?

relispartition tells "True if table is a partition", which is not
actually true as it can apply to indexes. So this should be changed in
v11 as well, no?

For relhassubclass, perhaps we could do a bit more than just referring
to children... What about the following:
"True if relation has (or once had) any inheritance children or
partitions"
Here is the current formulation:
"True if table has (or once had) any inheritance children"

And this should be changed in v10~ additionally?
--
Michael