Re: Assertion failure with ALTER TABLE ATTACH PARTITION with log_min_messages >= DEBUG1

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Assertion failure with ALTER TABLE ATTACH PARTITION with log_min_messages >= DEBUG1
Date: 2018-10-06 00:00:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 05, 2018 at 12:41:29PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2018-Oct-05, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> Looking at the stack trace there is this log in
>> validateForeignKeyConstraint:
>> ereport(DEBUG1,
>> (errmsg("validating foreign key constraint \"%s\"", conname)));
>>
>> However conname is set to NULL in this code path.
>
> Ouch. Thanks for catching this one. I think the "this is all we need"
> comment is just asking for trouble :-(

Would you reformulate it? Like, say, if new fields are needed perhaps
we could just say instead "XXX: make sure to update the list of fields
copied if a new partition-relation command needs it."

>> From what I can see the problem comes from CloneForeignKeyConstraint
>> which forgets to assign the constraint name when cloning the FK
>> definition. While looking at the ATTACH PARTITION code, I have noticed
>> that a variable gets overridden, which is in my opinion bad style.
>
> Ugh, yeah that looks bad. I wish the compiler would warn about this :-(

Do you want me to take care of this one? On this issue, I am way more
confident than the other thread for event triggers as I spent quite some
time on it.
--
Michael