Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
Date: 2018-10-03 05:16:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-09-27 20:03:58 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2018-09-28 12:21:08 +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> > Here I attached further cleanup patches.
> > 1. Re-arrange the GUC variable
> > 2. Added a check function hook for default_table_access_method GUC
>
> Cool.
>

> > 3. Added a new hook validate_index. I tried to change the function
> > validate_index_heapscan to slotify, but that have many problems as it
> > is accessing some internals of the heapscandesc structure and accessing
> > the buffer and etc.
>
> Oops, I also did that locally, in a way. I also made a validate a
> callback, as the validation logic is going to be specific to the AMs.
> Sorry for not pushing that up earlier. I'll try to do that soon,
> there's a fair amount of change.

I've pushed an updated version, with a fair amount of pending changes,
and I hope all your pending (and not redundant, by our concurrent
development), patches merged.

There's currently 3 regression test failures, that I'll look into
tomorrow:
- partition_prune shows a few additional Heap Blocks: exact=1 lines. I'm
a bit confused as to why, but haven't really investigated yet.
- fast_default fails, because I've undone most of 7636e5c60fea83a9f3c,
I'll have to redo that in a different way.
- I occasionally see failures in aggregates.sql - I've not figured out
what's going on there.

Amit Khandekar said he'll publish a new version of the slot-abstraction
patch tomorrow, so I'll rebase it onto that ASAP.

My next planned steps are a) to try to commit parts of the
slot-abstraction work b) to try to break out a few more pieces out of
the large pluggable storage patch.

Greetings,

Andres Freund