Re: Add SKIP LOCKED to VACUUM and ANALYZE

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Lyes Ameddah <lyes(dot)amd(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add SKIP LOCKED to VACUUM and ANALYZE
Date: 2018-10-02 00:06:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 03:37:01PM +0000, Bossart, Nathan wrote:
> Good idea. This patch looks good to me.

Thanks, I have pushed this one now.

> Without the find_all_inheritors() stuff, I think we would just need to
> modify the ANALYZE documentation patch to say something like
>
> Specifies that ANALYZE should not wait for any conflicting locks
> to be released: if a relation cannot be locked immediately without
> waiting, the relation is skipped. Note that even with this
> option, ANALYZE can still block when opening the relation's
> indexes or when acquiring sample rows to prepare the statistics.
> Also, while ANALYZE ordinarily processes all leaf partitions of
> partitioned tables, this option will cause ANALYZE to skip all
> leaf partitions if there is a conflicting lock on the partitioned
> table.

Yes, I think that we could live with something like that. I could give
this whole thing a shot, but this will have to wait until the commit
fest is closed as there are still many patches to classify. If you can
send a patch that's of course always helpful..
--
Michael