Re: Postgres 11 release notes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres 11 release notes
Date: 2018-09-27 14:24:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On 2018-Sep-27, Amit Langote wrote:

> Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, but the following of your proposed text
> needs to be updated a bit:
>
> + <listitem>
> + <para>
> + Having a "default" partition for storing data that does not match a
> + partition key
> + </para>
> + </listitem>
>
> I think "does not match a partition key" is not accurate. Description of
> default partitions further below in the release notes says this:
>
> "The default partition can store rows that don't match any of the other
> defined partitions, and is searched accordingly."
>
> So, we could perhaps write it as:
>
> Having a "default" partition for storing data that does not match any of
> the remaining partitions

Yeah, I agree that "a partition key" is not the right term to use there
(and that term is used in the press release text also). However I don't
think "remaining" is the right word there either, because it sounds as
if you're removing something.

For the Spanish translation of the press release, we ended up using the
equivalent of "for the data that does not match any other partition".