Re: pg_verify_checksums -r option

From: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_verify_checksums -r option
Date: 2018-08-27 10:53:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 18:01:09 +0200
Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm curious about this option:
>
> -r RELFILENODE check only relation with specified relfilenode
>
> but there is no facility to specify a database.
>
> Also, referring to the relfilenode of a mapped relation seems a bit
> inaccurate.
>
> Maybe reframing this in terms of the file name of the file you want
> checked would be better?

If we specified 1234 to -r option, pg_verify_shceksums checks not only 1234
but also 1234_vm, 1234_fsm, and 1234.1, 1234.2, ... and so on, so I think
it makes senses to allow to specify a relfilenode instead of a file name.

I think it is reasonable to add a option to specify a database, although
I don't know which character is good because both -d and -D are already used....

Regards,
--
Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>