pg_verify_checksums -d option (was: Re: pg_verify_checksums -r option)

From: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
To: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_verify_checksums -d option (was: Re: pg_verify_checksums -r option)
Date: 2018-08-27 11:34:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 07:53:36PM +0900, Yugo Nagata wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Aug 2018 18:01:09 +0200
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > I'm curious about this option:
> >
> > -r RELFILENODE check only relation with specified relfilenode
> >
> > but there is no facility to specify a database.
> >
> > Also, referring to the relfilenode of a mapped relation seems a bit
> > inaccurate.
> >
> > Maybe reframing this in terms of the file name of the file you want
> > checked would be better?
>
> If we specified 1234 to -r option, pg_verify_shceksums checks not only 1234
> but also 1234_vm, 1234_fsm, and 1234.1, 1234.2, ... and so on, so I think
> it makes senses to allow to specify a relfilenode instead of a file name.
>
> I think it is reasonable to add a option to specify a database, although
> I don't know which character is good because both -d and -D are already used....

Maybe the -d (debug) option should be revisited as well. Mentioning
every scanned block generates a huge amount of output which might be
useful during development but does not seem very useful for a stable
release. AFAICT there is no other debug output for now.

So it could be renamed to -v (verbose) and only mention each scanned
file, e.g. (errors/checksum mismatches are still reported of course).

Then -d could (in the future, I guess that is too late for v11) be used
for -d/--dbname (or make that only a long option, if the above does not
work).

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz