Re: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format.
Date: 2018-07-27 02:42:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 07:35:56PM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 7:33 PM, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>> The maintenance load is not high as well, so I see no real point in
>> removing it, and that it would likely make people using it unhappy.
>
> Why, specifically, would it make them unhappy?

When upgrading PostgreSQL in an application framework which does
migration upgrades, those users would need to complicate their code so
as they need to handle multiple dump formats, by either detecting the
format in use or assuming what to do based on the origin version.
Believe me, that's a pain to dig into such issues.
--
Michael