Re: found xmin from before relfrozenxid on pg_catalog.pg_authid

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Maxim Boguk <maxim(dot)boguk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: found xmin from before relfrozenxid on pg_catalog.pg_authid
Date: 2018-05-24 20:46:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 2018-May-24, Andres Freund wrote:

> > Hmm .. surely

> > xid = HeapTupleHeaderGetXmin(tuple);
> > xmin_frozen = ((xid == FrozenTransactionId) ||
> > HeapTupleHeaderXminFrozen(tuple));
> > - if (TransactionIdIsNormal(xid))
> > + if (!xmin_frozen && TransactionIdIsNormal(xid))

> I don't think that's necesary - HeapTupleHeaderGetXmin() returns
> FrozenTransactionId if the tuple is frozen (note the
> HeapTupleHeaderXminFrozen() within).

Ah, yeah ... I probably thought about this when writing it and removed
it for that reason.

BTW I think the definition of HeapTupleHeaderXminFrozen is seriously
confusing, by failing to return true if the xmin is numerically
FrozenXid (which it'll be if the database was pg_upgraded). I wonder
about this one in HeapTupleSatisfiesMVCC:

else
{
/* xmin is committed, but maybe not according to our snapshot */
if (!HeapTupleHeaderXminFrozen(tuple) &&
XidInMVCCSnapshot(HeapTupleHeaderGetRawXmin(tuple), snapshot))
return false; /* treat as still in progress */
}

I think this is not a bug only because XidInMVCCSnapshot does this

/* Any xid < xmin is not in-progress */
if (TransactionIdPrecedes(xid, snapshot->xmin))
return false;

which makes it return false for FrozenXid, but seems more of an accident
than explicitly designed.