Re: perl checking

From: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: perl checking
Date: 2018-05-22 08:11:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Fri, 18 May 2018 14:02:39 -0400, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote in <5a6d6de8-cff8-1ffb-946c-ccf381800ea1(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>

> These two small patches allow us to run "perl -cw" cleanly on all our
> perl code.
>

> One patch silences a warning from convutils.pl about the unportability
> of the literal 0x100000000. We've run for many years without this
> giving us a problem, so I think we can turn the warning off pretty
> safely.

It was introduced by aeed17d000 (in 2017). The history of the
file is rather short. Over 32-bit values do not apperar as a
character so there's no problem in ignoring the warning for now,
but can't we use bigint to silence it instead?

> The other patch provides a dummy library that emulates just enough of
> the Win32 perl infrastructure to allow us to run these checks. That
> means that Unix-based developers who might want to make changes in the
> msvc code can actually run a check against their code without having
> to put it on a Windows machine. The invocation goes like this (to
> check Mkvcbuild.pl for example):
>

> PERL5LIB=src/tools/msvc/dummylib perl -cw src/tools/Mkvcbuild.pm
>

> This also allows us to check src/tools/win32tzlist.pl.
>

> In due course I'll submit a script to automate this syntax checking.
>

> cheers
>

> andrew

regards.

--