Re: [HACKERS] WIP Patch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Marina Polyakova <m(dot)polyakova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] WIP Patch: Pgbench Serialization and deadlock errors
Date: 2018-05-08 10:58:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO wrote:

> I think that I'll have time for a round of review in the first half of July.
> Providing a rebased patch before then would be nice.

Note that even in the absence of a rebased patch, you can apply to an
older checkout if you have some limited window of time for a review.

Looking over the diff, I find that this patch tries to do too much and
needs to be split up. At a minimum there is a preliminary patch that
introduces the error reporting stuff (errstart etc); there are other
thread-related changes (for example to the random generation functions)
that probably belong in a separate one too. Not sure if there are other
smaller patches hidden inside the rest.

On elog/errstart: we already have a convention for what ereport() calls
look like; I suggest to use that instead of inventing your own. With
that, is there a need for elog()? In the backend we have it because
$HISTORY but there's no need for that here -- I propose to lose elog()
and use only ereport everywhere. Also, I don't see that you need
errmsg_internal() at all; let's lose it too.