Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)heterodb(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] path toward faster partition pruning
Date: 2018-04-07 20:00:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund wrote:
> > > I've also attempted to fix rhinoceros's failure I remarked upon a couple
> > > hours ago in
> > > https://postgr.es/m/20180406210330.wmqw42wqgiicktli@alap3.anarazel.de
> >
> > And this, too. I was unsure if this was because we were missing calling
> > some object access hook from the new code, or the additional pruning.
>
> That's possible. I did attempt to skim the code, that's where my
> complain about the docs originated. There certainly isn't an
> InvokeFunctionExecuteHook() present. It's not clear to me whether
> that's an issue - we don't invoke the hooks in a significant number of
> places either, and as far as I can discern there's not much rule or
> reason about where we invoke it.

I managed to convince myself that it's not higher-level code's
responsibility to invoke the execute hooks; the likelihood of bugs of
omission seems just too large. But maybe I'm wrong.

There's a small number of InvokeFunctionExecuteHook calls in the
executor, but I really doubt that it exhaustively covers everyplace
where catalogued functions are called in the executor.

CC'ing KaiGai and Stephen Frost; they may want to chip in here.